Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Earth Soul

I lay down on the ground
To feel the soil beneath my feet
To connect with the Earth,
The stones and pebbles
To feel the land, 
I crunch its dirt in my hand

I admire the sunflowers reaching
for the Western Sun
The ephemeral golden glow

I pick up a few acorns
From the pin oak 
A reminder of nature's fruit

There is music in the wind
A cheer in the silence
The sparrow hawk pierces the sky
I sit up

I wander over to the magnolia tree
She gives off life, the birds love her
When in bloom, the bees devour her too

I light a candle
And meditate
and listen to silence
And think of people who are hurting

It seems so many of my loved ones
have hurting hearts, my father-in-law
suffered a heart attack and recovered from
open heart surgery at my house, I 
was the nurse at his side.

Everyone is facing mortality.
How tragic, we are born,
we live, we love, we laugh, we cry
and then we die

To return to the earth
Our final coalesce with nature
the land below my feet




--Michael Hooper
Nov 27, 2018
Revised 
Sept 7, 2022


No comments:

Post a Comment