Saturday, January 7, 2017

The Sure Thing

I consider myself a conservative investor. I want the sure thing, and if I can’t get the sure thing, I want a margin of safety, I want to know the worst case scenario.  For example, I remember when Bruce Newberg told me to buy Apple at $14 per share when it had $12 per share in cash on the books. This was shortly after the great tech crash of 2000-01, when Bruce was looking for deals in broken technology. Worst case scenario, he said, if they liquidate the company, you get $12 per share in cash. I bought Apple stock immediately with 200 shares. Bruce Newberg was spot on and I should have named a child after him for his timely wisdom and insight. It was perhaps the best call of my lifetime. I made a lot of profit but sold Apple too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment